The Library Resource Centre at TLA
“ At the moment that we persuade a child, any child, to cross that threshold, that magic threshold into a library, we change their lives forever, for the better.” Barack Obama
The Library Resource Centre is a fundamental part of the Academy’s literacy strategy and aims to develop a lifelong love of reading in every student.
It is situated behind the main school building next to the Science block in its own purpose built architect award winning building. It is generally open to students from 08.00 through to 16.00 every day for independent study but this is subject to change when events are taking place. The Library Resource Centre has over 16,000 printed resources available including around 6,000 Children’s/Teen fiction books, 2,000 adult fiction books and nearly 10,000 non-fiction/reference books as well as magazines & journals. It has computers available for homework and research and dedicated staff who are always on hand to offer help and advice. Students may borrow up to three books for a period of two weeks; books can be renewed by visiting the library on or before the due date.
The Academy has invested in the Accelerated Reading Scheme for every Year 7, 8 and 9 student and together with the English Department during Library lessons they are tested to ascertain their reading level. A personalised reading plan is then developed for each student and regularly reviewed by their English teacher and the Library staff. Students take quizzes on the books they have read to assess their understanding and a number of awards, prizes, trips and other incentives are awarded for good progress whatever their initial reading ability.
All KS3 parents can access the Accelerated Reader website and view their child’s reading progress at https://Ukhosted18.renlearn.co.uk/2146030/HomeConnect using their child’s AR user name and password. In addition they can specify up to six email addresses to receive automatic updates whenever they take a quiz on a book or reach certain targets.
At TLA we have recently subscribed to a new online news resource which is especially aimed at providing students and schools with up to date news items and information to enable our students to think critically and engage with the world around them. It can also be accessed from home. It is brilliant for subject information, news, homework, projects, discussions, comments and especially reading lots of new vocabulary. Home Access – www.theday.co.uk (Username & password can be found in the Year 7 Library leaflet or latest edition of the school newsletter).
The library staff also run a range of extra-curricular clubs and activities:-
Monday 15.00 - 16.00 Warhammer Club and Yu-Gi-Oh Club
Tuesday Lunchtime Book Club/ABA Book Award
Wednesday 15.30 -17.15 TLA Girl Guiding
but are always open to new ideas from students!
- Not every day I get a request like this. Should I be worried...? Read more Monday, 12th of March 2018 at 10:50AM
- This week, I met students commended for: excellent work in Healthy Futures; growing confidence in English; excellence in hockey; great teamwork; a music performance in Chapter assembly; improving cooking skills; & hard work & revision for GCSE English. Well done all! #WeAreTLARead more Monday, 12th of March 2018 at 09:40AM
- The year 11’s today learnt some great revision tips and tricks, that I’ll definitely be using to revise for the exams, Activity day was another helpful step to passing our exams! 😄 Read more Monday, 12th of March 2018 at 09:40AM
- Read more Monday, 12th of March 2018 at 09:40AM
- Congratulations to Sports and Technology students receiving their ‘Fruity Friday’. Read more Friday, 9th of March 2018 at 10:01AM